This isn’t just about anime. There was plenty of entertainment to be had in the year. We did manage to find time to play videogames. Two big-hitters in gaming started the year off with a bang. Elden Ring And Horizon Forbidden WestAnd things didn’t slow down.
You might want to take some time during the holiday season and enjoy one of these picks, or honorable mentions. We’ll even include anime recommendations for each game! Ready? These are Crunchyroll News’ top picks for the 2022 games of the Year!
These are listed alphabetically by title. You can try but we won’t rank you. (Except for a Ranking of Kings!)
There are tons of open areas to explore, many bosses to stoop on, and other day/night enemies to defeat. All the unique creatures and enemies make for something immersive and truly amazing.
Kathleen Townsend (Sr. EN Contributing Author) (Honorable Mention: Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak)
I had great expectations since I’m a huge soulslike fan, and they have not been betrayed. It is a fantastic game with a great story and amazing gameplay. It is sure to make an impression.
– Francesco Ventura, Italian Editor (Honorable Mentions: God of War Ragnarök, Monster Hunter Rise (PC), The King of Fighters, XV)
If you like anime, there are many to choose from Elden Ring: Berserk, Record of Lodoss War, Claymore
I’ve been a fan since the PS2 and it’s been amazing watching Kratos develop into a man who wants what is best for his son. He’s had a lot of personal pain and it’s been great to see him offer help to others. He is trying to strike a balance between “preparing my son for what’s inevitable” and “not wanting him to have to face that inevitable”. It’s a welcomed transition for the series.
– Briana Lawrence, Sr. EN Features Editor (Honorable Mentions: Tunic, Stray, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder’s Revenge)
This game is an absolute masterpiece in every way! This is not only the best video game of all time, but also GOTY.
– Julio Velez, Spanish Editor (Honorable Mentions: SCORN, Part 1: The Last of Us, Horizon Forbidden West, Elden Ring)
If you like anime, there are many to choose from God of War Ragnarök: Vinland Saga, Kakushigoto
I loved it Horizon Zero Dawn So it was not surprising that Horizon Forbidden West Automatically, it was my game of 2022. The game mechanics are great, the world has a lot of lore and is very beautiful. I felt proud that Aloy could rely more on her friends during this game. It’s one game that I can’t wait to complete the main quest.
– Deanna Nguyen, Sr. EN Contributing Writer (Honorable Mention: Stray)
If you like anime, there are many to choose from Horizon Forbidden West: SABIKUI BISCO, Golden Kamuy
I played a lot of good games this year, but none delivered the pound-for-pink-enveloped-pound of joy per minute quite like Kirby and The Forgotten Land. Because HAL Laboratory is so good, I was not even skeptical of the move to full 3D. We’ve known for 30 years that Kirby is capable of doing anything he wants, and this holds doubly true for his brilliant brains.
– Joseph Luster, Sr. EN News Editor (Honorable Mentions: Elden Ring, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder’s Revenge, Record of Lodoss War, Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (Switch), Infernax)
If you’re looking for anime to watch, here are some suggestions Kirby and The Forgotten Land: Kirby: I’m right back at ya!, Pui Pui Molcar
Did I just choose a mobile-card game that is free to play as my favorite of the year? Yes, I think so! It is the thing that makes MARVEL SNAP Its premise is so simple yet the mechanics are as complex and deep as you need. If you want to build a deck full of meta moves, you can. You don’t have to be a slugger and deal major damage. That’s possible too. It also offers a nonpredatory monetization system. This shouldn’t seem too hard to get but is incredibly important these days. It’s smart, addictive, and great fun.
– Nicholas Friedman, Sr. Manager, EN Editorial & EIC, EN News (Honorable Mentions: Pokémon Legends: Arceus, LIVE A LIFE, God of War Ragnarök, Stray, Tunic, Tinykin, Vampire Survivors)
If you like anime, there are many to choose from MARVEL SNAP: My Hero Academia, TIGER & BUNNY, Yu-Gi-Oh!
Pokémon Legends: Arceus was the Pokémon game I had been waiting for since I was I a kid, giving me the chance to explore to my hearts content and catch Pokémon the way I wanted to. Despite some glaring issues, it was still the most fun and wonder I’ve had this year playing a game.
– Daryl Harding, Sr. Japan Correspondent (Honorable Mentions: Splatoon 3, Cyberpunk2077 S).|S))
If you’re looking for anime to watch, here are some suggestions Pokémon Legends: Arceus: Pokémon (duh), Digimon Adventure:, Mon Colle Knights
As many Sonic fans (and non-Sonic fans) have done, I won’t be calling it. Sonic Frontiers It is not a perfect game but it is fun. Have fun One is the one that has been closest to exploring Sonic’s potential speed. The game’s faults are easily overlooked by the fun it offers, so even its minor flaws don’t seem like a problem. This is a positive step forward for Sonic, akin to the Adventure games—not perfect, but blasting towards frontiers in a way that make me excited for what comes next—and an addictively fun one to play at that.
– Sean Aitchison (Sr. EN Contributing writer) (Honorable Mentions: Kirby and The Forgotten Land, Perfect Tide)
This game is a step forward in the world of video games. Sonic franchise. Exploring open spaces at the same is both thrilling and relaxing. Combine this with a really interesting story and amazing soundtrack and you have one of the best 3D Sonic games in years.
– Samir Fraiha, Portuguese Sr. Contributing Writer (Honorable Mentions: The King of Fighters, XV, Return to Monkey Island, God of War Ragnarök)
Sonic Frontiers Sonic games are great for exploring new lands. This expansion builds on the best parts of Sonic games.
– Mohamed Mir, French Sr. Contributing Writer (Honorable Mentions: Sifu, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shredder’s Revenge, Deathloop, God of War Ragnarök)
If you’re looking for anime to watch, here are some suggestions Sonic Frontiers: Street Sharks, Mars Biker Mice, Wild West C.O.W. Boys of Moo Mesa, Bucky O’Hare
10/10 story, music, art, voice acting, gameplay. A kind-hearted prince of underworld helps a grieving family by his sassy and sheer determination.
Kristine Don Sr. Manager, INTL Editorial (Honorable Mentions: Celeste, Hollow Knight) These also don’t count — Nick.
If you’re looking for anime to watch, here are some suggestions Hades: It’s likely to be at least two years old.
Are your favorites on our list? We’d love to hear from you in the comments.