3… 2… 1… It’s time to make plans to ring in 2023!
The roaring 2020s started slowly, but it is now that the megaparties are back and fireworks are in full swing. Cruises on the Potomac and fireworks in the sky are all available. There is also a bar crawl, a party at your favorite bar, and Noon Yards Eve for the kids at Navy Yard at 10 AM. A balloon drop is held at noon.
The forecast for this year is mild and dry, so dress accordingly
D.C. knows how you can get around, especially New Year’s Eve. Metro rides will be available for free after 8 p.m. and will continue to service until 2 a.m. January 1. How to get Lyft ride for free or discounted
Don’t forget! Dolly Parton & Miley Crus are also available to ring-in 2023 on NBC4 at 10:30 p.m.
Sign up for The Weekend Scene newsletter so you’re the first to know about all the great stuff happening around the D.C. area — we send it out every Wednesday.
New Year’s fireworks in the DMV
Old Town Alexandria’s fireworks will fire from Waterfront Park starting at midnight, popping over the Potomac River. You can see fireworks best from riverside restaurants and parks along the coast between Jones Point and Oronoco Bay.
Street Party @ Market Square, which caps First Night Alexandria, is another option. This festival features live music and performances at various indoor venues close to King Street. Tickets start at $50, while seniors and kids can pay $10-$30.
Don’t want to wait until midnight for fireworks? Merriweather Symphony of lights in Columbia, Maryland can be enjoyed by children and early birds. Midnight @ 7, which costs $15 for children aged 4 and above, or $50 per family of four, grants access to the holiday lights walking-through.
Kings Dominion’s WinterFest will also salute the new year with fireworks at midnight.
NOTE: Due to rain forecast, Annapolis’ fireworks show will now take place on Sunday January 1, at 5:30 pm.
New Year’s Eve at $50 or Less
- DC Proud Inaugural Ball in Honor of Mayor Muriel Bowser (You may reserve two tickets free on The Anthem website but you will have to wait for your turn.
- No Cover, No Hassle NYE party at Jack Rose Dining Saloon. Free glass of champagne for guests to enjoy from 4 p.m. until 1 a.m. plus a party on the heated terrace starting at 9 p.m.
- Calico’s Game Night NYE: Free entry, board games, $2 off draft cocktails, beer, and a champagne toast at midnight
- Jammin Java ($18) & Pearl Street Warehouse ($30): Local bands
- Martin Amini and his friends perform comedy at Room 808 ($20-30, BYOB).
- Union Stage: A Harry Styles New Years Spectacular ($20-40)
- Crawl ‘Til the Ball Falls ($35; registration at Sudhouse DC, U Street).
- Comedy with Zarna Garg, Miracle Theater (6 p.m. & 10 p.m.; $50
New Year’s Eve at $100 or Less
Luxe New Year’s Eve at $100+
Enjoy the outdoors and get some exercise to start the new year. Tommy McFly shares some tips and tricks to make the most out of your hike, as well as how to keep safe.
New Year’s Day Picks: First Day Hikes
For many, the beginning of a new year means fresh air and a new way to live. First Day Hikes can be a great way to start 2023. Tommy looked at Fauquier’s Sky Meadows State Park, which Tommy recommends to anyone looking for a new trail. Maryland also offers a list with First Day Hikes. We’ve got some tips and tricks for First Day hikers.
You want to know what’s happening on your weekend? Subscribe to The Weekend Scene for the latest news and events for you, your family, and around the DMV.