– Former Microsoft exec Ed Fries has expressed concern over the potential impression the corporate’s Sport Cross subscription service might have on the video games business.
– Fries didn’t give an express reply however mentioned that he was ‘scared’ of the impression Sport Cross might have, ought to it change into a dominant enterprise mannequin like Spotify has within the music business.
– “The one factor that they’re doing that makes me nervous is Sport Cross,” he mentioned. “Sport Cross scares me as a result of there’s a considerably analogous factor referred to as Spotify that was created for the music enterprise.
– “When Spotify took off it destroyed the music enterprise, it actually reduce the annual income of the music enterprise in half,” the previous Microsoft exec claimed. “It’s made it so folks simply don’t purchase songs anymore.
– “So we’ve got to watch out we don’t create the identical system within the recreation enterprise. These markets are extra fragile than folks realise. I noticed the video games business destroy itself within the early 80s
– “So Sport Cross makes me nervous. As a buyer, I find it irresistible. I really like Spotify as a buyer: I’ve all of the songs I’d ever need… it’s an excellent deal as a buyer. Nevertheless it isn’t essentially nice for the business.”
Do you agree? Will Sport Cross destroy the online game business?