FromSoftwareThe Japanese studio that created the super-hit “Japan Studio”, is now known as. Elden Ring 2022’s most-selling game – has been a hot target of acquisition speculation and acquisition.
Although FromSoftware is not being bought by any large player, major corporations are rapidly buying stock in Kadokawa Corporation, which owns FromSoftware.
Kadokawa made this announcement in a press statement [PDF] It has issued new shares of stock in FromSoftware and Tencent, the Chinese giants, as well as Sony Interactive Entertainment.
Tencent now controls 16.25% of the studio through Sixjoy Hong Kong. Sony Interactive Entertainment has 14.09%, for a total 30.34%. Kadokawa is the largest stockholder of FromSoftware’s shares, with 69.66%.
The FromSoftware parent company stated that the funds would “strengthen the studio’s abilities to create and develop IP for games.” Interestingly, it also hinted that FromSoft may be looking to publish games in the future, “establishing a framework that allows expansion of the scope of FromSoftware’s own publishing in the global market.”
The press release does not specify whether this refers only to the games of the studio or other developers. However, it is not unusual for developers to continue to work with larger companies to fund their projects while publishing smaller titles with some of the remaining funds.
Some of these games could also be available for mobile. Kadokawa explained that FromSoftware sold some of its shares in Sixjoy Hong Kong due to the studio’s expertise creating mobile games and network technologies. Sony’s involvement will allow FromSoftware to reach a wider audience through its expertise in the launch of games and other media.
Following the success of Elden Ring and its subsequent launch, the developer announced that it is looking at media other than video games. Sony has made some of its franchises into films, and television shows to various degrees of success. FromSoft could see an opportunity to use that power to increase the reach of its IP.
Leave a Reply